Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Kea Ngāti Tuara was established in 2007 and provides strategic leadership for Ngāti Kea Ngāti Tuara in a number of areas:
- Political: Ngāti Kea Ngāti Tuara is one of eleven affiliates of of Te Pūmautanga o Te Arawa (TPT). The Rūnanga is involved in Treaty negotiations via the Central North Islands Collective (CNI) with the aim of regaining manawhenua over the ancestral lands of Ngāti Kea Ngāti Tuara.
- Commercial: Ngāti Kea Ngāti Tuara is an affiliate of Te Arawa Group Holdings (TAGH), the commercial arm of TPT. The Rūnanga also manages hapū investments through the Investment Committee.
- Social: The Rūnanga has developed a health plan for the hapū and is represented in Te Rōpū Hauora o Te Arawa and Te Papa Takaro o Te Arawa. The Rūnanga is developing and implementing an education plan with the Ministry of Education and a te reo Māori development plan with Te Taura Whiri i te Reo Māori. The Rūnanga also manages the Ngāti Kea Ngāti Tuara Education Grants.
- Environmental: Ngāti Kea Ngāti Tuara is an affiliate of Te Arawa River Iwi Trust (TARIT) and has formal relationships with the Department of Conservation, the Rotorua District Council and the Waikato Regional Council as well as forestry companies and other environmental groups. The Rūnanga is also developing and implementing an environmental plan with support from TARIT, the Rotorua District Council and the Waikato Regional Council.
- Communication/liaison: A major task is keeping in touch with the hapū: maintaining the database of members; updating the website and Facebook page; preparing and distributing regular newsletters; organising wānanga to give hapū members the opportunities to learn te reo Māori, whakapapa, history and tikanga; and maintaining relationships with our key partners and other iwi.
Current Trustees are:
- Eru George – Chairperson
- Robyn Bargh – Deputy Chairperson
- Mary Corbett
- Jenny Kaka-Scott
- Tawhiri Morehu
- Mark Milroy
- Raiha Ratapu
- Tracy Narby
For a copy of the 2018 AGM booklet, click here to download.