Kearoa, the whare tupuna, was built in 1888 and is one of the oldest carved houses in Te Arawa. The Kearoa Marae Committee ensures that the marae complex is cared for, that all manuhiri are shown Ngāti Kea Ngāti Tuara manaakitanga and that we have a marae of which we can all be proud.
Kearoa marae is maintained through a system of monthly whānau working bees; each whānau being responsible for one month of the year. Whānau are also encouraged to make monthly donations to the marae.
Kearoa marae is used regularly for hui and wānanga, tangihanga and social activities such as whānau reunions. Before the establishment of the Rūnanga, the marae committee was the main contact point for the hapū.